Thursday 6 September 2012

week 1 - Introduction to critical thinking



Week 1
Introduction to critical thinking


This is the first week I am entering the lecture hall for critical thinking subject. Previously during I am in foundation, I had took critical thinking subject. So, I can say that I had little basis about critical thinking.
This week I learn about what is meant by critical thinking. Before we start, our lecturer explains about what is meant by thinking. Thinking is a purposeful, organized cognitive process that we use to make sense of our world. As I understand, critical thinking means the learning to think critically by using mental process such as attention, categorisation, selection and judgement. It is also cognitive activity- associated with using the mind. The critical thinking skills are analysing, reasoning, evaluating, problem solving and decision making. As I know, there are eight types of critical thinking standards which are clarity, accuracy, precision, relevance, depth, breadth, logic and fairness.
Clarity means before evaluate effectively a person’s argument; I need to understand what he or she is saying. Accuracy is which the accurate information will guarantee that I will make correct decisions and conclusion. Third, precise thinking can eliminate confusions and uncertainties. Moreover, relevance means the need to stay focused on relevant ideas and information and to be deceived by irrelevant issues.
Depth is a statement that is deep in information which allows us to address the complexities in the statement. Breadth means a statement is breadth in the information as well it is clear, precise, relevant, accurate and deep. The seventh standard is logic.  When the combinations of thoughts are mutually supporting and make sense in combination, the thinking is “logical”. Last critical thinking standard is fairness. Critical thinking demands that our thinking should be fair that is open – minded, impartial, free of distorting biases and preconceptions.
There are lot of benefits if we study critical thinking. We can have the following criteria such as improved attention and observation, more focused reading, and improved ability to identify the key points in a message, improved ability to respond to the appropriate points in a message, knowledge how to get my own point across more easily and the skills of analysis that I choose in a variety of situations.
I would like to relate critical thinking to my life. For me, the emotions that are most difficult to manage when others disagree with me are anger, misunderstanding each other, tension and irritable. After I study the eight critical standards, I can deal with my emotions by thinking precisely. I will listen to what the others are saying before start argues with them. I will be open minded in order to receive other’s statement.
The insights I gained from this week is very useful to me because it helps me to improve my personal qualities as a critical thinker. Here, I noticed that I give 0 rating for the question; I can offer criticism without feeling this makes me a bad person. Now, I am open-minded and willing to welcome criticism from other people. Moreover I give 2 rating for the question I feel comfortable pointing out potential weaknesses in the work of experts. Now, I am aware that pointing out weaknesses are important in my life. Although a work done by an expert, there probably have a mistake because human are not perfect. So, I think it is important to pointing out such weaknesses but at the same time I will aware of my own biases and preconceptions.
Then, I put 1 rating for question I can present my own arguments clearly. I don’t know before this question can reflect my critical thinking learning.  So, now I have independent opinion to be present clearly and not afraid to disagree by others because different people have different opinions. Lastly, I give 0 rating for question I find it easy to weigh up different points of view fairly. From this week’s lesson, I will fair, impartial and open minded in evaluate different points of view because as I mention before different people have different point of view. Thank you for critical thinking because reflect my true character and change me for better stage.   

No comments:

Post a Comment