Thursday 6 September 2012

week 3 - Roles of Supporting Statement




Week 3
Roles of Supporting Statement


This week I had study about what is an argument. Before I attend this week’s class, I   knew that argument is happen when there are two different opinions or statements by two different people. Lastly a person’s opinion which is supported well by premises and conclusion, it is the best statement and will accept by people. This week we were discover more about roles of supporting statements in an argument.
After I attend this week’s class I learn a lot of important things about argument. Argument is a series of statement used to persuade someone of something. The importance of study the component of an argument is to identify, analyse and evaluate to take a better decision and to avoid being misled. Argument contains three components which are supporting statements, premises and conclusion. Supporting statement is a statement which helps people to understand and believe the statement by definition, supporting arguments, assumptions, evidence, reference to authority and anecdote. Premises are also statements which support and convince us with the conclusion. In an argument, there must be at least two premises to support the conclusion.  As I know, supporting statements play an important role in supporting premises. Conclusion must be supported by the premises. 
Here I would like to share my personal experience. I had a roommate who she always argue with me when I tell my personal opinion when we discuss about a thing. For example, one day my friend called me to my hand phone and tells a problem she faces through face book. So I login to her profile and saw the inbox messages she had. Lastly, I get to know that, the improper messages are send by her boyfriend’s true girlfriend. So, I advised my friend to deactivate her account. She became very sad as she told me that, she believe her boyfriend a lot and lastly learn a good lesson from that.
After I settle down the problem, I share this problem with another roommate. We were talking about face book problem might be faced by teens including the virtual love. So, as we talk, we noticed my argue roommate face was changed. So we stop our conversation. Then she was coming up with another argument. For your information, she had a boyfriend in foreign country and they love through face book. She fights with me that, “how can you tell that our love is not true? What you know about us? Better mind your own business”. I replied to her that, I just tell my opinion in general and not point to her. Then she argued with me that, what evidence you had to tell that virtual love is not true? I tell her the problem faced by my friend because of virtual love as evidence which is one of the supporting statements and also I told her that not all virtual love is faces this problem. Then she apologised on her misunderstanding towards me.
Through this case, I noticed that, it’s not useful to argue without open minded. We must receive other’s opinion with open-minded before we argue. This is one of the critical thinking standard which is precision.
The lesson I gained from this week is very useful to me because, before this I rate 3 for question; I know how to structure an argument. Through this I plan to practice more to easily structure an argument. I give 3 rating for; I find it easy to evaluate the evidence to support a point of view. Evidence is important in argument because it proves an argument as true. So, I intend to practice more in evaluate evidence to support a point.  Thank you for critical thinking to make me better. Besides that, I score full for question; I am good at identifying unfair techniques used to persuade readers. Here, I am good enough in identify unfair techniques. Lastly, the rating 2 for question; I am very patient in going over the facts in order to reach an accurate view. I plan to be patient in going through the facts to reach an accurate path. Thank you for critical reflection to keep me change to a better critical thinker.



No comments:

Post a Comment